As Michael Pollan points out in his book, Omnivore’s Dilemma, “eating meat has become morally problematic… Vegetarianism is more popular than it has ever been, and animal rights, the fringiest of fringe movements until just a few years ago , is rapidly finding its way into the cultural mainstream.”
Main Reasons for the Shift According to Vegetarians:
-53% claimed “improve overall health”
-25% answered weight loss/maintenance
–47 % claimed environmental concerns
-31% claimed food safety concerns.
–54% answered animal welfare
Pollan addresses the animal welfare and environmental concerns, claiming,
“killing animals is probably unavoidable no matter what we choose to eat.”
– total # of animals killed/year wouldn’t necessarily decline
– can not practice sustainable agriculture without animals to cycle nutrients
– greater dependence on fossil fuels for farther food transportation
– more dependence on chemical fertilizers from shortage of manure
So… What’s the Hope for Vegetarians?
– moral support for animals
– push to moderate, not eliminate, consumption
– contribute to revolutionizing the meat industry and it’s practices
– push to seize tail docking, sowcrates, beak clipping
– If we broke down the meat industry, “meat would get more expensive. We’d probably eat a lot less of it, too, but maybe when we did eat animals we’d eat them with the consciousness, ceremony, and respect they deserve.” – Michael Pollan
What other valid points can one argue for going Vegetarian?
Vegetarian/Vegan Celebrities: Russell Brand, Bill Clinton, Natalie Portman, Mike Tyson, Pamela Anderson, Tobey Maguire, Kristen Bell, Chris Martin, Milo Ventimiglia, Ellen DeGeneres, Olivia Wilde, Alec Baldwin, Leona Lewis, Paul McCartney, Carrie Underwood, Anne Hathaway, Brad Pitt, Kate Winslet, Lea Michele, more!
My Veggie Meals
- Encouraging Words: Interest in Veganism Grows, as US Meat Consumption Declines (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- ‘Green’ Celebrities – When the Best of Intentions go Awry (sprayfoamdirect.com)
- Why Fix Something If It Ain’t Broke? (ariellefrank.wordpress.com)
- Solution to the Omnivore’s Dilemma? (zihao2011.wordpress.com)
- One Part of The Omnivore’s Dilemma (mikaelaihm.wordpress.com)